CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, November 14, 2008

Too punny for words

Yes that was maybe the lamest title ever but IDC because it was so darn punny. (ha ha I make myself laugh) Anyway I was just reading some one's blog and they were talking about the end where the men and the women party. When the men talk about the drinking are they talking about drinking or is this part of the metaphor used by the womyn wherein their...I don't know what I should call it (We'll their vaginas )are the cup of fine wine that must not be diluted by the water/sperm of their men? If so is this drinking referring to Peace and their truce?
I was really confused on this part. It seems to me like they were actually drinking but them I'm not sure. I think this play has so many puns and metaphors that you don't know when things are literal and when they're being metaphorical.

7 comments:

cmosier said...

I think they really drank, but I also am pretty sure that the Greeks were fully aware of the symbolism of that wine. So, the drinking was literal, but the actions following are also implied. Well, that's my take on it anyway.

Dorito said...

im in agreement with Beth, on this one. i do think that they drank, and they had every reason to. Peace was achieved, and now, they could make whoopie. Everybody's happy

kosekesh said...

i def think they drank. think about the greek gods, they liked 2 drink, greek culture liked to drink, i mean they had a god of wine and jockularity (yeah, i can't remember his name or exactly what he was god of, but ik wine was in there- Nate, help me out?) but yeah, i def think there was some real boozing goin on.

sdub said...

yea they were drinking but you make a good point about that metaphor ... i never considered that until you brought it up but i think thats absolutely right and its a great double entandra ... oh i see thats what claire said but i agrreeeeeeee its definately both!

Batgirl-Queen of Slugheads said...

I do think that they were quite drunk, which probably greased the wheels of peace and parties, as well as some steamy events to follow. Not only is wine a part of frienship and goodwill, but it also impairs judgement...

dchou said...

i'm pretty sure they drank too, but the cup of wine stands as a phallic symbol, and the wine wouldn't be polluted by the men. so the action is implied, and the women know this (especially after the oath..."step in my direction in erection")

H-Dub said...

i also think that they were actually really drinking and not uh sperming in the women. i'm sure some of that might have gone on in the party but i think it was just an overall party for the whole end of the war and the men getting their women back.